In January 1954, the Dominican Sisters started by tutoring two American children. During the fall of that year, the first Dominican Kindergarten School in Kaohsiung was established to cater to the growing number of children from American Navy Catholic families.
The school eventually grew into a primary school to accommodate the international student population in Southern Taiwan and was named Assumption School.
During the General Chapter, the Council had decided that all schools owned by the Congregation of the Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic will be named Dominican School. Hence, the present school was renamed Dominican International School Kaohsiung and is under the administration of the Dominican Sisters of the Congregation of the Religious Missionaries of Saint Dominic.